October Gardening Tips
Things to do:
- Protect plants from frost, harvest herbs in the time to dry. Make herb binegars, jellies, etc. for holiday gift.
- Plant your own grains to harvest, thresh, mill and bake in June and July.
- This is another good time to put in an herb garden, shrubs, and California native plants.
- Plant bulbs such as daffodils, narcissus, freesias, anemone and others.
- Chill tulips and hyacinths for four to six weeks and plant in December
- Transplant perennial herbs.
- Sow California native wildflower seeds.
Plant Directly: Garlic from bulbs, wheat, oats, triticale, barley and cereal rye October 1-15
Start in flats 1st of month: wheat, oats, triticale, barley and cereal rye
Transplant: wheat, oats, triticale, barley and cereal rye