April Gardening Tips
Things to do:
- Remember to implement companion planting practices in your garden!
- Check plants for cabbage looper moths, slugs and snails.
- Protect immature crops from birds and for at least 10 days after planting.
- Get pheromone traps ready for apple codling moths.
- Good time to plant an herb garden or flowering perennials.
- Start double-digging spring beds when soil is dry enough to work.
- Fertilize perennials flower and vegetable beds, citrus trees and spring bulbs.
- Time to harvest and compost cover crops.
- Lift & divide perennials such as daisies, day lilies, campanula and dianthus.
- After they finish flowering prune spring-blooming shrubs such as quince, flowering plum and lilac.
Plant Directly Mid-Month: swiss chard, dill, parsnips, strawberry sets, sunflowers, turnips
Start in Greenhouse: cucumbers, melons, pumpkins, squash (summer & winter) in 4″ pots
Start in Flats in Mid-Month: basil, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, swiss chard, collards, eggplant (may need protected), kale, kohlrabi, leeks, leaf lettuce, onions, parsley, parsnips, peas (in partial shade), peppers (may need protected), rutabaga, spinach, tomatoes (may need protected), turnips.